Monday, December 6, 2010

Jamaican Beef Patties

Ok. Here we go again! Jamaican Monday;)

Today I've decided to prepare for you the ever-so-popular Jamaican beef patties. Granted, these are not Golden Krust so, please, don't judge.

Pastry dough:
2 cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of salt

3/4 cup of butter--chilled
1/2 cup of ice water




I went ahead and did a "half" version of the recipe...but I wanted you to have the actual recipe as I read it.

When you prepare the dough make sure the butter and flour have a "pebbly" look to them before adding the water. After the water is added, press all of the dough together until the butter it well blended in. I had the dough sit in the refrigerator for an hour, but that's optional:)



If you don't have a pastry disc cutter, just do what I did. Use a bowl! :)

Filling:
1/4 teaspoon of thyme
1/4 teaspoon of chili
1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
1/4 cup of diced onions
1/2 lb of ground beef
Optional: couple drops of a hot sauce of your choice

Cook the beef on the stove before filling the pastries...but remove it from the pan a couple minutes early so that it won't overcook in the oven.

To create the patties, put a couple of tablespoons in the center of the disc of dough, fold it over and crimp the edges with a fork.

Bake in the oven on 375 degrees for 25 min or until the crust is firm and flaky.

Not perfectly shaped, but they taste fantastic:) It took me three tries to perfect this dish! It was the dough that gave me the biggest trouble of all, but it was worth it in the end!

2 comments:

  1. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!! GREAT JOB SIS! wow!!!! ahhhhh, I want to try!!! :) :) yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this is awesome! It looks so tasty! I'm tempted to try this recipe :) Can't wait for next Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete